LOADING YOUR BIKE
All GVT buses have bike racks for up to two bikes and bikes ride free with a passenger. Bus drivers do not assist with the loading or unloading of bikes, therefore it is important that you read these instructions on how to load and unload your bike carefully.
Passengers are responsible for loading and unloading their own bicycles. Grand Valley Transit (GVT) is not responsible for any damages that may be caused while your bike is being loaded or unloaded, or while it is in the rack and the bus is in motion.
Only the bicycle’s tires come in contact with the rack, thereby reducing the possibility of damage to your bike’s frame
The racks are conveniently located on the front of the bus and can accommodate two-wheel bicycles with wheel spans of 16 inches in diameter or larger. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Motorized or tandem bikes are not permitted.
Caution should be taken when loading and unloading your bicycle. Passengers should:
- Utilize the bike racks at your own risk.
- Notify the bus driver before loading a bike.
- Load and unload bikes from the side of the bus nearest the curb.
- Exit the bus from the front door and advise the bus driver that you will be unloading a bike.
- Grand Valley Bike Month
- Grand Valley Bike Month, May 2021-recorded Lunch and Learn
Topics include cycling health tips, Western Colorado rides, trail etiquette, and wayfinding tools. This production is sponsored by GROWL Agency
- Healthy Mesa County Residents can learn about current community initiatives on the new Healthy Mesa County website. It’s a way for Mesa County Public Health to showcase the exciting work underway with our partners to improve the overall health of the community. Click here to explore the website and see how you can get involved.
You can load your bike in these four easy steps:
Step 1 - Lower the Rack
To lower the rack, graps and squeeze the handle with one hand while supporting the bike with your other hand. Slowly lower the rack.
Squeeze handle and pull down rack
Step 2 - Place Bike on the Rack
Lift the bike into the rack, placing the wheels in the wheel wells. The first bike loaded should be placed in the position closest to the bus.
The Bike's front wheel is in the proper position when it is facing the support arm.
Place bike in rack slot
Step 3 - Secure Your Bike
Your bike is secured with the support arm. Pull the handle of the support arm out, then lift it up and over the bike's front tire.
Grasp arm support...
Step 4 - Release the handle
Release the handle so that it rests on the tire. Your bike is now secure and you can board the bus.
and pull over bike
Step 5 - Remove Your Bike
To remove your bike from the rack, simply pull the support arm handle out and lower it down over the bikes front tire, lift the bike out of the rack, and return the rack to the upright position.
It makes no difference which position your bike is in. You can easily remove your bike from the rear position even if another bike is in the front position.
Note: Loose items that could come off your bike while the bus is in motion should be removed before you board the bus. Take these items with you inside the bus.